- Missouri Lakes
The day after the Fourth of July we
embarked on a spectacular hike to the Missouri Lakes...
Lakes are a group of high alpine lakes
in the Holy
Cross Wilderness not far from Vail
and Minturn Colorado. The Holy Cross Wilderness encompasses Mount
of the Holy Cross, a Colorado 14er so named because of a cross
formation especially visible when it is snow filled. The Missouri
Lakes are south of Mount of the Holy Cross and sourrounded by
12,000 and 13,000 foot peaks, most notably Savage Peak.
- The trail we followed is shown in yellow
in the above map and follows Missouri Creek which drains from
the Missouri Lake group of lakes. There were numerous water falls,
pristine ponds and creek crossings along the route.
- This is the top of the waterfall seen
in the prevoius pictures...
- Looking down in the narrow rock canyon
formed by this portion of Missouri Creek...
- Reaching the top of the narrow canyon...
- Spotting a rare black squirrel...
- The first of the two larger Missouri
- First view of the largest of the Missouri