- A collection
of quotes that I have collected
- "All that the soul undertakes and
endures, if directed by wisdom, ends in happiness, but if directed
by ignorance, it ends in the opposite."
- "He who joyfully marches to music
in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been
given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord
would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be
done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality,
deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this,
how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to
shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction
that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of
- -Albert Einstein
- "I cannot conceive of a god who rewards
and punishes his creatures or has a will of the kind that we
experience in ourselves. Neither can I -- nor would I want to
-- conceive of an individual that survives his physical death.
Let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egotism, cherish such thoughts.
I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and a
glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together
with the devoted strivif the Reason that manifests itself in
- -Albert Einstein
- "If God did not exist, then we would
- "The point of philosophy is to start
with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to
end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it."
- -Bertrand Russell, The Philosophy of Logical
"It is no use saying "We are doing
our best." You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."
-Sir Winston Churchill
- "There are only two kinds of sholars
- those who love ideas and those who hate them."
- - Alain, French pholosopher
- "By his station in society, a member
of the intelligentsia really has no political interests to defend,
except the very general one (the one he most forgets) of not
finding himself bossed aroung by a totalitarian government."
- - Kingsley Amis, British author
- "A great deal of intelligence can
be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
- - Saul Bellow, American writer
- It is possible to store the mind with
a million facts and still be entirely uneducated.
- - Alec Bourne, British gynaecologist "Doctor's
- "Intellectuals are people who believe
that ideas are of more importance
- than values; that is to say, their own
ideas and other people's values."
- - Gerald Brenan, British writer "Thoughts
in a Dry Season"
- "It's probably a very good thing
to maintain a mistrust of intellectuals. You can hear intellectuals
all of the time, condoning some of the worst barbarities."
- - John Cooper Clarke, British poet 1978
- The university must be a tributary to
a large society, not a sanctuary from it.
- - A. Bartlett Giametti, American academic
- There is always some sort of tendency
for intellectuals to create a paradise somewhere else.
- - Dr. A. Halsey, British academic.
- "There is no use discussing what
could be done if we were other beings than what we are."
- - Werner Heisenberg
- "There is enough light for those
who desire only to see, and enough darkness for those of a contrary
- - Pascal
- "The lion may lie down with the lamb,
but the lamb isn't going to get a lot of sleep."
- -paraphrased from Woody Allen
- "I wish there was a knob on the TV
to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called `brightness',
but it doesn't work."
- - Gallagher
- "If you're not a liberal when you
are twenty then you have no soul. If you're still a liberal when
you are forty, then you have no mind."
- -Winston Churchill (attributed, paraphrased)
- "I never dared be radical when young
for fear it would make me conservative when old."
- -Robert Frost, ``Precaution'' (1936)
- "To be conservative requires no brains
whatsoever. Cabbages, cows and conifers are conservatives, and
are so stupid they don't even know it. All that is basically
required is acceptance of what exists."
- -Colin Welch, _Spectator_ (London) July
- "The liberals can understand everything
but people who don't understand them."
- -Lenny Bruce, _The Essential Lenny Bruce_
- "When you have prayed for victory
you have prayed for many unmentioned
results which follow victory--_must_ follow it, cannot help
but follow it. Upon the listening spirit of
God the Father fell also the unspoken
part of the prayer. He commandeth me to put it into words. Listen!
- ``O Lord our Father, our young patriots,
idols of our hearts, go forth to battle--be
Thou near them! With them--in spirit--we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesites
to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help
us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields
with the pale forms of their patriot
dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain;
help us to lay waste their humble homes
with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts
of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to
turn them out roofless with their little children
to wander unfriended through wastes
of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst,
sport of the sun flames of summer and the
icy winds of winter, broken in spirit,
worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the
grave and denied it--for our sakes who adore
Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight
their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy
their steps, water their way with their tears,
stain the white snow with the blood
of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who
is the ever-faithful refuge and friend
of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.''
- -Mark Twain, "The War Prayer"
- "It's better to keep your mouth shut
and let people think
- you're a dummy than to open it and prove
- "Absence diminishes little passions
and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes
candles and fans a fire."
- -Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- "Every descision is like a murder
and our march forward is over the stillborn
bodies of all our possible selves that will never be."
- -Rene Dubos
- "That, that is; is. That, that is
not; is not. Is that it? It is!"
- - book "Flowers for Alginon"
- "that that
- is is
- that that
- not is
- not is
- it it
- - without punctuation (quite a difference)
- "Life is a sexually transmitted,
uniformly fatal, disease."
- "I am tired and sick of war. Its
glory is all moonshine. It is only those
who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans
of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more
vengeance, more desolation. War is
- -William Tecumseh Sherman
- "Here lies Lester Moore
- Took four bullets from a .44
- No Les,
- No More"
- -Supposedly real from Boot Hill, but can't
- "Nothing is more conducive to peace
of mind than not having any opinions
- -Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
- "Better to remain silent and be thought
a fool than to speak out and remove
- -Abraham Lincoln
- "Buy land. They ain't making it anymore"
- - Will Rogers
- "It is a damn poor mind indeed which
can't think of at least two ways to
spell any word."
- -Andrew Jackson
- Twain's year by year proposal to simplify
spelling by reducing
- redundant letters:
- "For example, in Year 1 that useless
letter ``c'' would be dropped to be
replased either by ``k'' or ``s'', and likewise ``x'' would no
longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase
in which ``c'' would be retained would
be the ``ch'' formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform ``w'' spelling, so that
- ``one'' would take the same konsonant,
wile Year 3 might well abolish ``y''
replasing it with ``i'' and Iear 4 might fiks the ``g/j'' anomali
wonse and for all. Jenerally,
then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with
Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants,
and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz
and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik
ius ov thi ridandant letez ``c'', ``y''
and ``x''--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais ``ch'', ``sh'', and ``th''
rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam
20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a ojikl,
kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld."
- -Mark Twain - A Plan for the Improvement
of English Spelling
- "Prosperity wont come with wishful
thinking. Dont fritter energy away on
trivial desires. Drop by drop a leaky faucet wastes gallons."
- - J. Donald Walters
- "Assume a virtue if you have it not."
- - Shakespeare
- "The greatest mistake a man can make
is to be afraid of making one."
- - Elbert Hubbard
- "Only those who risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go."
- - T. S. Eliot
- "Do not justify your actions rather
let your actions justify you."
- - anon
- "There can be no greatness among
men without the greatness of God among
- - anon
- "No problem can withstand the assault
of sustained thinking."
- "Is life so dear or peace so sweet
as to be purchased at the price of chains and
slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others
may take, but as for me, give me liberty,
or give me death!"
- -Patrick Henry
- "Must be a yearning deep in human
heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules,
laws -- always for other fellow. A murky part of us, something
we had before we came down out of trees, and failed to shuck
when we stood up."
- -Robert A. Heinlien, _The_Moon_is_a_Harsh_Mistress_
- "The power of accurate observation
is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it."
- -G.B. Shaw
- "We should all be obliged to appear
before a board every five years and
justify our existence...on pain of liquidation."
- -G.B. Shaw
- The reasonable man adapts himself to the
world; the unreasonable one
- persists in trying to adapt the world
to himself. Therefore all
- progress depends on the unreasonable man."
- -G.B. Shaw
- "Two things are infinite: the universe
and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about
the the universe."
- -Albert Einstien
- "As far as the laws of mathematics
refer to reality, they are not certain, as far
as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
- -Albert Einstien
- "If you pick up a starving dog and
make him prosperous, he will not bite you.
It is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
- -Mark Twain
- We, the people, are not free. Our democracy
is but a name. We vote? What does that
mean? We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee."
- -Helen Keller
- "All we know about the new economic
world tells us that nations which train
engineers will privail over those which train lawyers. No nation
has ever sued its way to greatness."
- -Richard Lamm
- "Humankind has not woven the Web
- We are but one thread within it.
- Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.
- All things are bound together. All things
- - Chief Seattle
- "Information is
the currency of democracy."
- - Thomas Jefferson
- "The universe we observe
has precisely the properties we
should expect if there is, at
bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil,
no good, nothing but blind,
- - Charles Darwin
- "Democracy is grounded upon so childish
a complex of fallacies that they must
be protected by a rigid system of taboos, else even halfwits would argue it to pieces. It's first concern
must thus be to penalize the free play
- -H.L. Mencken
- "The happiness you create within
yourself is permanent. We have to concentrate on the happiness
that we build into us. Happiness is a choice and as we reinforce
that choice, happiness becomes a deeper and deeper part of us
until we are Happiness. Then as as we move through life being
Happiness, we create it everyplace we go."
- - Leo F. Buscaglia, Ph.D.
- "Mental violence has no potency and
injures only the person whose thoughts are
violent. It is otherwise with mental non-violence. It has potency
which the world does not yet know."
- -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
- "Something happens to companies when
they get to be a few billion dollars. They
sort of turn into vanilla companies. They add a lot of layers
of management. They get really into
process rather than results, rather than products.
They lose touch with their customers. Their soul goes away."
- -Steve Jobs, Apple Computer co-founder
- "Reality is whatever refuses to go
away when I stop believing in it"
- -Philip K. Dick
- "I don't want to achieve immortality
through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
- - Woody Allen
- "Science is not so much an advance
towards Truth as it is a retreat from Ignorance"
- -Wayne Throop, paraprashed
- "In the desert there is no sign that
says 'Thou shalt not eat the stones' "
- -Sufi proverb
Copyright: Kevin Harris
1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)